This title is a mouthful for sure. However, when you stop to think about it, we all have a “Capacity” limit and a threshold for each of these four items. Just off the top of your head, ask yourself this question of each of these four things: “What is my capacity limit when it comes to; my intention, to my leadership, to my partnering, and with people?” I am betting you have never asked yourself these four questions nor have you thought about these four items in this manner. You are not alone. Most people do not look at these four words and ask much of anything.
I am reminded what a well know leader once remarked on a video that when people are asked about in a job interview, most say: “I am really good with people.” Really? What does that mean exactly? Let’s take a very brief look at each of our four capacities a little deeper.
In order to increase our capacity for intentionality we must be will to do three things:
- We must be willing to be Deliberate
- We must be willing to be Consistent
- We must be willful
The key here is to be very intentional and not to let this slide or for us to procrastinate.
When it comes to Leadership what I know from my foray down this lane is the more I learn about being a leader, the more I understand there is so much I do not know, and still have to learn. Leaders are by nature “multipliers,” they are great communicators, they are attentive listeners, they must see before those they lead see, they must connect before they ask others to change, just like someone selling something: those leaders lead must feel understood, liked and cared for. Sounds like a whole lot doesn’t it? Being a leader in any business or as a father or mother prompts two important things: consistency and intensity.
The third Capacity we are going to explore today is the one of Partnership. Have you ever heard this saying: “I can do things you cannot do, you can do things I cannot do, together we can do great things!”? But, how often do we actually partner? Seldom, is the answer. It is almost as if we live and have been brought up in the “Lone Ranger Culture;” we can each figure it out ourselves and do it so much faster and more inventive than anyone else on our team or in our field. Really? In order for “Partnership” to work, each of us has to change our Lone Ranger mindset. When we do not seek out to work with others, we are not close to expanding our Capacity for Partnership.
This one should be easy, and yet it trips people up all the time; our ability to have People Capacity. In other words, developing relationships with other people. Let me state this plainly here: if you do not know how to build healthy growing relationships with your loved ones, your spouse, and in your business environments you will stop growing altogether and be like a bitter old man/woman who has given up on life and is basically waiting to die.
How do we expand our people capacity?
- We expand our people capacity by “Valuing People” every day.
- We expand our people capacity by making ourselves more valuable in our relationships.
- We expand our people capacity by getting out in the world and not staying home.
- We expand our people capacity by having a focused relationship where we are benefiting others and not ourselves.
- We expand our people capacity by being consistent friend vs. a fair weather friend.
- We expand our people capacity by believing the best about others
- We expand our people capacity by not allowing other people’s behavior to trigger and control us.
- We expand our people capacity by keeping the value of any relationship high even in tough times.
- We expand our people capacity by “unconditionally loving others.”
- We expand our people capacity by creating great memories.
- We expand our people capacity by keeping those relationships we desire close to us and nurturing them.
That was a whirlwind of information is a short time span. What did you glean from what you have just read? How might you make four goals in developing your own “capacity” in each of the areas discussed in this blog? When will you act on those goals? How will anyone know you are working on growing your capacity in “Intentionality, Leadership, Partnership, and People?”
Next Month we will talk about “Your Capacity in the areas of Production, Responsibility & Risk.”
If you are interested in being coached or mentored by Janice in 2018, she does have availability beginning in January 2018.
Send an email to begin the process: email@example.com.
Visit my website at: